Friday, April 27, 2012

VEGAN CHICKEN FRIED STEAK WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT



Look at this beauty! !!!!!


Seitan is a fake meat made with vital wheat gluten, which is the high-protein component of flour that is often added to breads to make them heartier. If you don't have a gluten intolerance or sensitivity, then lucky you-- this stuff is so simple to make and has a great meaty texture.


My recipe is almost exactly the one from theppk.com, the website/blog of vegan chef Isa Chandra Moskowitz, who is a great influence on many veg cooks. 

Knowing how to make seitan is a skill indeed. One should never buy anything when it's this easy!:
Homemade seitan

I always use this particular recipe and I usually let it cool for at least 4 hours before using it. It's never a bad idea to make up a batch and keep it in the fridge and pull it out to slice it, pan fry in a little olive oil, and toss with bbq sauce. Simple, delicious, and low-fat protein. Can you say guilt free?!! My biggest secret: leave your vwg in the fridge (the package usually indicates such, but we don't always listen to packages, so.....). Also, I wrote it, but remember to put the dry ingredients in the freezer while you assemble the wet, and put those in the fridge while you allow ample time for the seitan pieces to rest so the gluten can relax. And for the love of Buddha, don't boil your water.


*      *      *
Make Isa's mushroom gravy, (depending on how much gravy you'd like you might think about halving this recipe) which won't take long at all. I would recommend skipping the flour -I find it's too lumpy-- substitute it for 3 tablespoons cornstarch (arrowroot would probably work here too). You could make this while you make your seitan, easily, but just let the seitan cool for a bit before frying.

*      *      * 

You can make mashed potatoes or whatever you want. I always have brown rice handy so that's what I used. If rice gives you trouble, stop sobbing. Measure out your rice and water, add a little bit of olive oil, and a little salt if desired, and place on a medium to low boil. Stir whenever you want, as I said before. No one can stop you from stirring. (I think the rice companies and the pot companies are in cahoots...) When the water is three-quarters absorbed and the precious little grains are suspended in the water, turn off the flame and let it be. The rice will suck up the water and it should be perfectly cooked. If there is still some liquid you can put it back on a low flame and finish cooking, but this method almost always works. Amen.


No-brainer breading and frying your:  VEGAN CHICKEN-FRIED STEAK


Uh, I think you can figure out how to add the gravy and side dishes to your seitan steak. Revel in using a steak knife again! MMMMMMMM

but DON'T FORGET YER VEGGIES!! cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
By drastically altering my SAD (standard American diet) which consisted of far too many deep-dried foods, huge portions, etc., I opted for copious amounts of vegetables, leans meats and protein, and whole grains. With moderate exercise (3-mile walks 4x/wk), and some weight training, I managed to lose 65lbs in 6 months. I am continually trying to find ways to reach out and share what I've learned along the way.